Thursday, September 20, 2012

One the consciousness of all animals

Today's post will be about universal consciousness. Which has actually been something I thought about since my philosophy class had a couple of lectures on computers and consciousness. Really invoked when someone said that animals are purely instinctive and nothing else and I came up with ideas to challenge that idea. What those ideas are, are seen here.

This post stemmed from the idea stated above, given that animals other than humans are purely instinctive creatures that lack any kind of free will. Sure, this may seem evident in animals that go on migrations to mate every year, but I am sure there at least some speck of some kind of freedom in these creatures.

You can watch a pet, a cat, pr dog and view how they go about things. Sure, they will want to do what they were originally bred for, but that does not mean that dogs will always be instinctively happy to see their owners or that cats will always instinctively want to claw up your furniture. As a budding philosopher. O have the belief that all animals have some kind of free will about them, even though it may not seem evident in them some of the time they are being studied. Going back on pets, when they are injured in some way, they will yell out in pain, just like a human would. Does this mean that it is instinctive? Perhaps. I know I would yell really loudly if I were a cat and had my tail stepped on.

However, it seems to me that animals are beginning to show that they do indeed have some kind of free will. like chimps or octopi. it has been documented that chimps now seek caves to hide in from the glaring sun, first signs of higher intelligence? Many scientists believe so, but I believe that this is some kind of sign of a free will. The only more thought-provoking one is the fact that chimps have been documented to use sticks as spears to hunt other animals in order to consume them. This should be a sign of free will, since it is not that they would instinctively want to hunt down other animals simply to devour their tasty flesh, they could always live on fruits and other things. I still believe this is free will here.

Also octopi. It has also been documented that octopi are beginning to learn the use of tools in the wild. There has been evidence shown that a wild octopus was seen carrying two coconut halves and racing back to its home in order to use the coconut halves in some way, probably for the instinctive use of taking cover from predators. Now the octopus that was seen doing this might not have even wanted to use this coconut. but it apparently developed some kind of thought that made it see that it was a good idea to try and use these things that were dropped to the bottom of the ocean floor somehow in some way. This is clearly free will to me. Maybe not to the rest of you, but I'd like to think so.

Short, sweet, to the point, just like how I like to make my arguments on things. This is quite simply my view on animals, but as the idea behind my blog title goes, I've written these ideas purely to share with others and how you, the reader perceives these views, is up to you.

 Let's see what I'll write about next,

Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment